0Shares0000Michel Platini, pictured in August in Lausanne, is currently serving a four-year FIFA ban © AFP/File / Alain GrosclaudePARIS, France, Sep 12 – World football’s governing body FIFA has given the green light for disgraced former UEFA president Michel Platini to address Wednesday’s UEFA Congress in Athens, triggering anger in Germany.A source close to Platini, currently serving a four-year ban, said last week he would attend the meeting of European football’s governing body, when the UEFA executive committee will vote on his successor. “The FIFA Ethics Committee has informed UEFA that Michel Platini will be allowed to address the 12th Extraordinary UEFA Congress in Athens on 14 September,” UEFA said in a statement.“A request for Mr. Platini’s attendance had been recently made by UEFA and we welcome this decision.”The decision did not sit well with Reinhard Grindel, president of the German football federation.“The UEFA Congress should showcase the programme of its new president and not the mistakes of his predecessor,” Grindel told German news agency DPA.“I would have preferred Michel Platini not to have put in an appearance. This Congress must focus on the future, not the past.”The former French international, a three-time European footballer of the year, is a key figure in the scandal that brought down FIFA president Sepp Blatter.Platini was on the receiving end of a suspect two-million-Swiss-franc ($2 million, 1.8 million euros) payment that Blatter authorised in 2011.FIFA has said the payment amounted to an ethics violation and has suspended both men for six years.Blatter and Platini insist it was a legitimate payment for an unpaid balance that FIFA owed the then-UEFA boss for consulting work done a decade earlier.Platini lost his CAS appeal against his FIFA ban earlier this year, but the court cut his suspension to four years.In Athens, the 55 UEFA member federations will vote between two candidates to succeed Platini: Aleksander Ceferin of Slovenia and Dutchman Michael van Praag.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – More than 26 million people worldwide have Alzheimer’s disease, and a new forecast says the number will quadruple by 2050. At that rate, one in 85 people will have the brain-destroying disease in 40 years, researchers from Johns Hopkins University conclude. The new estimates, being presented Saturday at an Alzheimer’s Association conference in Washington, are not very different from previous projections of the looming global dementia epidemic with the graying of the world’s population. But they serve as a sobering reminder of the toll to come if scientists cannot find better ways to protect aging brains.
PICO RIVERA – Detectives are investigating the case of a man found shot to death last week in a parked vehicle as a homicide.Ruben Joseph Gomez, 51, of Whittier died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to coroner’s spokesman Craig Harvey. He said the death was ruled a homicide.Gomez worked at Prudential California Realty in Montebello. A woman who answered the phone referred all questions to the manager, who was not in on Monday.Sheriff’s homicide detectives are still trying to determine how and why the real estate agent turned up dead in the 3000 block of Bicentennial Park Access Road on July 31. A passer-by who saw Gomez slumped over the steering wheel summoned deputies that afternoon. The deputies discovered Gomez had been shot in the upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene.No one has been arrested. Detectives released few details Monday.Sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Rodriguez said the businessman was found in his SUV and that no one heard the gunshots.He added police are still trying to piece together the victim’s final hours and will be talking to his business associates and family.Gomez’s relatives couldn’t be reached for comment Monday. Harvey said Gomez wasn’t married and didn’t have children. Gomez was licensed as a real estate broker/officer, according to the state Department of Real Estate. His license was issued in 2002 and set to expire in email@example.com(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026Man’s death ruled homicideBy Ruby Gonzales, Staff WriterPICO RIVERA – Detectives are investigating the case of a man found shot to death last week in a parked vehicle as a homicide.Ruben Joseph Gomez, 51, of Whittier died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to coroner’s spokesman Craig Harvey. He said the death was ruled a homicide.Gomez worked at Prudential California Realty in Montebello. A woman who answered the phone referred all questions to the manager, who was not in on Monday.Sheriff’s homicide detectives are still trying to determine how and why the real estate agent turned up dead in the 3000 block of Bicentennial Park Access Road on July 31.A passer-by who saw Gomez slumped over the steering wheel summoned deputies that afternoon. The deputies discovered Gomez had been shot in the upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene.No one has been arrested. Detectives released few details Monday.Sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Rodriguez said the businessman was found in his SUV and that no one heard the gunshots.He added police are still trying to piece together the victim’s final hours and will be talking to his business associates and family.Gomez’s relatives couldn’t be reached for comment Monday. Harvey said Gomez wasn’t married and didn’t have children.Gomez was licensed as a real estate broker/officer, according to the state Department of Real Estate. His license was issued in 2002 and set to expire in firstname.lastname@example.org(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREFrumpy Middle-aged Mom: My realistic 2020 New Year’s resolutions. Some involve doughnuts.“It’s not going to happen,” Snow said. “Creating Don Rumsfeld as a bogeyman may make for good politics but would make for very lousy strategy at this time.” To make the administration’s strategy more clear, the White House on Tuesday published a 23-page booklet called “National Strategy for Combating Terrorism,” which Bush described as an unclassified version of the strategy he’s been pursuing since Sept. 11, 2001. The booklet’s conclusion: “Since the Sept. 11 attacks, America is safer, but we are not yet safe.” Democrats dismissed Bush’s actions as a public-relations strategy that avoided real solutions. “A new glossy strategy paper doesn’t take the place of real change that will make our country safer,” said Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis. “If President Bush had unleashed the American military to do the job at Tora Bora four years ago and killed Osama bin Laden, he wouldn’t have to quote this barbarian’s words today,” said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. “Because President Bush lost focus on the killers who attacked us and instead launched a disastrous war in Iraq, today Osama bin Laden and his henchmen still find sanctuary in the no man’s land between Afghanistan and Pakistan, where they still plot attacks against America.” Bush’s speech was the second in a series linked to next week’s anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. It was delivered to the Military Officers Association of America in a hotel ballroom filled with U.S. troops, including several injured in the war, and with diplomatic representatives of foreign countries that have suffered terrorist attacks. Later, the White House said Bush was extending for one year the national emergency he declared following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks because the “terrorist threat continues” and measures adopted to deal with that emergency must remain in effect. Bush planned a third speech today from the White House, laying out his plan to change the law so that detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, can be tried for crimes before military commissions. The administration also was expected to brief lawmakers today on a new Army field manual that would set guidelines for the treatment of military detainees. Congress passed legislation late last year requiring military interrogators to follow the manual, which abided by Geneva Convention standards. Bush argued Tuesday that history will look favorably on his currently unpopular war strategy. “History teaches that underestimating the words of evil and ambitious men is a terrible mistake,” the president said. “Bin Laden and his terrorist allies have made their intentions as clear as Lenin and Hitler before them. The question is: Will we listen? Will we pay attention to what these evil men say?”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – Quoting repeatedly from Osama bin Laden, President George W. Bush said Tuesday that pulling U.S. troops out of Iraq would fulfill the terrorist leader’s wishes and propel him into a more powerful global threat in the mold of Adolf Hitler. With two months until an Election Day that hinges largely on national security, Bush laid out bin Laden’s vision in detail, including new revelations from previously unreported documents. Voters were never more united behind the president than in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, and his speech was designed to persuade Americans that the threat has not faded five years later. Democrats have been increasing their criticism of the president’s policies in Iraq as the congressional elections approach, with the latest salvo coming in a letter Monday that suggested that he fire Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld. The White House rejected the idea, both in a written response from chief of staff Joshua Bolten and in a lengthy verbal rebuttal from spokesman Tony Snow.
VALENCIA — Steve Jones planted his first rosebush in 1985, and his passion for the hobby just blossomed from that moment. Jones, who admits that he tends to be compulsive at times, immediately began researching roses and bought every book on roses he could find. He joined the American Rose Society, and when he discovered there was a local chapter, he joined it, too. He planted more roses — lots of them. On Oct. 16 in Dallas, Jones, 52, who has about 400 roses of all varieties planted in his yard in Valencia, will take office as president of the American Rose Society. “I am excited and nervous. All I can do is do my best,” he said. “I have some ideas to bring more life into the organization.” During his three-year term, Jones said he hopes to increase membership, make the organization more educational, bring awareness to the preservation of older rose varieties and bring the organization into the 21st century by focusing more on electronic communication. “That’s what I’m trying to move the organization toward,” he said. “I want to bring fun back to the hobby and get some enthusiasm going.” Jones encourages locals who are interested in growing roses to attend the SCV Rose Society’s annual Rose Show on Oct. 14 in Valencia. Unfortunately, he won’t be able to attend himself, since that is the weekend of his inauguration. “If people are interested at all in growing roses, they’re not that hard to take care of. Everyone thinks roses are difficult, but they’re not, and some will bloom all year round,” he said. “Roses are very versatile. If you have a spot, we can find a rose for it.” Membership in the SCV Rose Society is $15 per year for an entire family. The fee has not increased since the organization formed in 1992. “It’s a lot of fun — we have a good time,” Jones said. “Rose people are fun people.” — Sharon Cotal, (661) 257-5256 email@example.com AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
BEST OF Rodriguez is not wanted by Zidane REVEALED shining ADVICE Real Madrid are reportedly willing to part ways with Rodriguez when he returns at the end of the season Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ 2 huge blow LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Former Bayern midfielder Stefan Effenberg believes the 27-year-old should seek a move elsewhere for the sake of his career.James must recognize that the best thing is for him to leave Bayern Munich.“He has to be playing and enjoying his football. Yet, he can’t do that if he is only allowed to play seven, ten, 12 or 15 minutes per game.” 2 Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Chelsea and Manchester United are both showing an interest in James Rodriguez after he was put up for sale by Real Madrid.The Colombian would cost a reported £36million, with Zindine Zidane not keen on bringing the midfielder back to the Bernabeu following his two years on loan at Bayern Munich, according to Marca. Rodriguez, who won the Golden Boot at the 2014 World Cup and signed for Real Madrid that same summer, has also fallen out of favour under Bayern boss Niko Kovac and while the club have first refusal on making the player a permanent signing, that seems unlikely to happen. REPLY Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won REVEALED no dice
Gregor Townsend admits Glasgow Warriors may have to change their surface at Scotstoun as it is unable to cope with heavy rainfall.The second leg of the 1872 Cup was moved from Glasgow to Murrayfield due to the condition of the pitch and large puddles of water remain on the field after early January showers.Glasgow are not due to play at home until January 23 when they take on Racing 92.As he prepares for his team’s rearranged Champions Cup match against the French outfit, Townsend says the squad’s training schedule has been altered due to the current situation. “We’ve got used to it but the fact is we’ll be playing on a good surface at the weekend. It’s supposed to be dry so we hope there’ll be positive rugby on show.” He said: “We’ve not trained on grass for a while now but that’s not been just this week, that’s been a number of weeks. We have other facilities like Toryglen, which the players love especially when it is chucking it down with rain.“You can see the pitch out there, it is obviously not fit for purpose. We can’t play on it just now so it is just something we have to deal with.“We’ve had two games called off now at Scotstoun this year. We had the same two years ago as well and if we had a game this weekend then it would definitely be called off so it is a concern.“We are going to have to look at contingencies or doing something to change the surface here.
August 6Campbellsburg Town MarshallAustin Lee Wingler, 18, Campbellsburg Failure to Appear on Felony ChargeAugust 10Washington County Sheriff’s DepartmentLogan Jon Gilstrap, 30, Salem TrespassJesse Thompson, 36, Salem TheftBurglaryCriminal MischiefAugust 8 Operating a Vehicle with a Controlled Substance in BodyOperating a Vehicle while intoxicated, endangering a personNeglect of a DependentOperating a Vehicle while intoxicated, refusalOperating a Vehicle while intoxicated, Driver over 21 and passenger less than 18. Harrison County Sheriff’s DepartmentDamion M. Sweeney, 38, Salem Failure to AppearPossession or Use of Legend Drug or PrecursorAugust 9Indiana State PoliceJesse Wayne Lackey, 37, Salem Maintaining a Common NuisanceBryan Austin Jackson, 22, Salem Washington County Sheriff’s DepartmentMichelle L. Brennan, 30, Campbellsburg Visiting a Common NuisancePossession of a SyringeWashington County Sheriff’s DepartmentLacy R. Griffith, 37, Hardinsburg Failure to Appear on Felony ChargeVisiting a Common NuisancePossession of a SyringeNathaniel Dean Provines, 26, Salem Violation of Day ReportingSalem City PoliceJames Michael Edwards Boule, 35, Salem Visiting a Common NuisancePossession of a SyringeJames Richard Crawford, 26, Salem Violation of Probation
A Judge has saved Christmas for revellers in a small Co Donegal town.Gardai had objected to a dance license for the Fleets Inn disco in the seaside village of Downings on Christmas night for two hours from 12.01am until 2am.Garda Inspector Barry Doyle said they had concerns as there would be only ‘skeleton staff’ on call that night. He told Letterkenny District Court that he was concerned that it would be difficult to get emergency response staff such as Gardai and ambulance personnel because it was Christmas night.He also had concerns about the lack of taxis in the area at the time when up to 250 people piled out onto the street after the disco on Christmas night.Solicitor Conor McLaughlin said there had been the same objection last year.However, the license was refused in the district court but was successfully appealed to the circuit court. He said that three premises across Donegal had been granted licenses for Christmas night dances last year.He said a limit of 250 patrons had been put on the Fleets Inn last year but only 187 people attended the disco.He said that up to five bouncers would be employed on the night, a taxi firm operated in the area and that there had been no trouble during or after the dance.He said that as far as he knew this premises was the only one in Donegal applying to have a disco on Christmas night this year.Judge Paul Kelly said perhaps it could be the case then that people from all over Donegal would come to Downings for the only Christmas night dance. He asked Mr McLaughlin if the premises planned to advertise the event.He was told that it was unlikely at this late stage because print companies were too busy.Judge Kelly said he was granting the license but said he was limiting the tickets to a total of 250.He said that he also wanted tickets for the event numbered and that if it was being advertised then those attending should be told that it is by ticket only. Judge saves Christmas cheer as he grants village drinks license was last modified: December 18th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CHristmas nightcourtDowningsFleets Inngrantedlicense