Celtic line up v Molde without Mulgrew or Forrest – this XI to lift the Hoops above Norwegians?

first_img 11 9. Leigh Griffiths (striker) 14. Stuart Armstrong (wide midfield) 11 11 11 20. Dedryck Boyata (centre back) 11 6. Nir Bitton (midfield) 1. Craig Gordon (goalkeeper) – click the arrow above, right, to see the possible Celtic line-up against Molde in squad number order 11 2. Tyler Blackett (centre back) 11 11 11 15. Kris Commons (wide midfield) 11 James Forrest and Charlie Mulgrew are still recovering from injury but Celtic have Stefan Johansen available for the match against Molde.The Norwegian has played against the club’s Europa League opponents before in his homeland and admits Celtic will have to be on form.“They have done really well and they have great players, and I play with some of them in the national team as well. We will have to be at our best to beat them,” he said.Molde, who have reappointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager, are seventh in Norway’s top flight, but sit two points ahead of Celtic in Group A.Click the arrow above, right, to see the possible Celtic line-up. 11 8. Scott Brown (midfield) 23. Mikael Lustig (right back) 3. Emilio Izaguirre (left back) 25. Stefan Johansen (central attack)last_img read more

Ten-man Celtic suffer huge blow to Europa League last 32 hopes

first_imgCeltic’s Europa League hopes suffered another blow following a 2-1 home defeat by Molde – and the spotlight will surely turn back on boss Ronny Deila.The offside flag deprived the Hoops of two goals in the first 12 minutes following the loss of Jozo Simunovic to injury before Mohamed Elyounoussi stunned Parkhead with a 20-yard drive.Midfielder Kris Commons levelled five minutes later but Molde’s 40-year-old skipper Daniel Hestad restored the Norwegian club’s lead in the 37th minute to give them the interval advantage.The hapless home side’s misery was compounded in the 77th minute when Nir Bitton, who had moved from midfield to defence in a reshuffle, was shown a straight red card by referee Slavko Vincic for a ‘last man’ tackle on Molde substitute Ola Kamara.Defeat kept Deila’s side bottom of Group A with two points from four games and with a home game against Ajax and a trip to Fenerbahce remaining, the Scottish champions require two wins to progress, an unlikely scenario on the evidence so far. Celtic 1last_img read more

AC Milan ready to make January move for Newcastle flop Hatem Ben Arfa

first_img Hatem Ben Arfa 1 AC Milan are preparing a January bid for former Newcastle flop Hatem Ben Arfa.The Frenchman left St James’ Park in the summer and has since been turning heads with his performances for Nice.The attacking midfielder already has seven goals to his name and was recalled to the France squad in November.That, according to Calciomercato, has sparked interest from AC Milan and they have been scouting Ben Arfa.The Italian club have been impressed by what they have seen and are now ready to follow it up with a formal offer in January.Ben Arfa is still uncertain about his future but it is reported he would like to see the season out with Nice.last_img

More bad news for Sturridge as Klopp discusses injury-hit Liverpool star

first_img1 Daniel Sturridge will not be available for Liverpool’s League Cup semi-final meeting with Stoke on Tuesday night.The Reds hitman has suffered numerous injury problems in recent seasons and has been restricted to just six appearances since April.Sturridge claimed on Boxing Day that he was back fit after a hamstring problem and ‘good to go’ but was not part of the squad for the 1-0 win over Sunderland and Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to West Ham.Jurgen Klopp has now revealed that the 26-year-old has suffered a minor setback in training and will not be ready for the first leg of Liverpool’s last four showdown with Stoke at the Britannia.“Daniel had some problems, not serious, but could not make a session and we had to wait a day,” said Klopp, who has regularly referred to the last month as effectively pre-season for Sturridge.“Because he didn’t have one session with the team it was not the usual plan for this week.“It is how a pre-season can be. Some little things happen and we have to handle this.“It is not a row of sessions and we say ‘Now we are here and go…’ I will pick him when he is ready, I will not hold him back.”With Divock Origi and Danny Ings also injured, Klopp currently has just one fit senior striker in Christian Benteke.The German, however, will continue to remain patient with Sturridge.He said: “It would be easy for me to say ‘Come on, let’s try, we have problems, we don’t score enough goals, let’s see what will happen’ but we have to wait and be patient.”Liverpool also look set to be without captain Jordan Henderson for the League Cup semi-final first leg at the Britannia.The midfielder suffered a recurrence of a foot problem which caused him to miss the weekend’s defeat to West Ham.“The tendon in the foot is painful but it is good and we hope when the blood is out of the foot the situation will be solved,” Klopp said.“It is not possible to train or play but we hope it is not serious. We have to wait, we cannot do any more.” Jurgen Klopp and Daniel Sturridge last_img read more

Charlton’s woes continue as captain apologises for ‘disgraceful’ Huddersfield displau

first_imgCharlton captain Johnnie Jackson has vowed to reimburse fans who travelled to watch the team’s humiliating defeat at Huddersfield on Tuesday night.The Addicks, second from bottom in the Championship, were thrashed 5-0 at the John Smith’s Stadium as their woeful season took another turn for the worse.Jackson posted a message on Twitter after the game: “I know words are cheap but on behalf of myself and the players, I want to apologise for tonight. It was disgraceful and you deserve better.“We are going to reimburse fans who travelled up to support us. I will arrange this with the club + they will let you know how to be refunded.”Charlton’s defeat to the Terriers followed an FA Cup exit at the hands of League One strugglers Colchester on Saturday and has left interim boss Karel Fraeye’s future in doubt.Fraeye was plucked from the Belgian third division to take on the job in October and has overseen just two wins in 13 Championship matches.Charlton fans are dismayed by the failure to appoint a permanent replacement for the axed Guy Luzon and have held protests at The Valley in recent weeks to voice their displeasure with club owner Roland Duchatelet and chief executive Katrien Meire’s running of the club.Fraeye refused to talk to the media following the defeat at Huddersfield and there were suggestions he had been sacked.But Charlton have yet to make any comment on the 38-year-old’s future and he remains in interim charge for now. 1 Johnnie Jackson last_img read more

Former Manchester City and AC Milan midfielder joins LA Galaxy

first_img Nigel de Jong Former Manchester City and AC Milan midfielder Nigel de Jong has become the latest high-profile player to join the LA Galaxy.The 31-year-old Dutchman, whose contract with Milan was cancelled last week, follows the likes of Steven Gerrard and Ashley Cole in signing up to play MLS football in Los Angeles.Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena told lagalaxy.com: “Nigel is an experienced midfielder who will help the players around him get better. He will add qualities on the field that can strengthen our team in all areas. We look forward to Nigel coming to Los Angeles and joining our club.”De Jong arrived in Manchester after successful spells with Ajax and Hamburg and, after winning the 2011-12 Barclays Premier League title with City, moved to Milan. He soon became the Rossoneri captain and made 79 Serie A appearances.He has earned 80 caps for Holland and helped the Oranje reach the 2010 World Cup final, where he managed to escape punishment for a chest-high challenge on Spain’s Xabi Alonso.LA Galaxy confirmed De Jong would be added to their roster on receipt of international clearance. The new MLS season starts in March. 1last_img read more

Simeone to Chelsea, Eriksen’s new Spurs deal and MORE – Paper review

first_img1 Transfer rumours and paper review Here are the top transfer-related stories in Wednesday’s newspapers…According to reports in Spain, Chelsea have agreed a deal to make Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone their new manager for next season. (OK Diario)Bayern Munich have banned Pep Guardiola from signing any of their top stars when he becomes Manchester City boss. The likes of Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Muller have been linked with moves to the Etihad since the confirmation of Guardiola’s appointment at City. (Daily Star)Tottenham star man Christian Eriksen is close to agreeing a new bumper £50,000-a-week contract at Spurs as the club aim to secure the Danish playmaker’s long-term future at White Hart Lane. (Evening Standard)Spurs are locked in a tug of war with London rivals West Ham over £25million-rated Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi. The 22-year-old Belgium international has scored 15 goals for the French club this season. (Daily Mirror)Arsenal are ready to make a fourth attempt to sign Michael Carrick, who is set to leave Manchester United this summer. Arsene Wenger is planning an midfielder overhaul and first targeted the passmaster during his youth days at West Ham. (Daily Mirror)Watford are resigned to losing strike star Odion Ighalo this summer, but will look for £12million for the 26-year-old with Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea all plotting bids. The Hornets are reportedly lining up Granada’s 20-year-old striker Isaac Success as his replacement. (Daily Mirror)Manchester United have begun scouting 18-year-old Benfica midfielder Renato Sanches…on the orders of Jose Mourinho. (AS Diario)Ryan Giggs is reluctant to do another stint as United caretaker boss and may look to leave the club if he is not appointed full-time manager when Louis van Gaal leaves Old Trafford. (Daily Mirror)Former Man United and Man City striker Carlos Tevez has turned down a £19.5m-a-year offer from Chinese side Shanghai SIPG to remain at boyhood club Boca Juniors. (Ole)Ex-Manchester United full-back Paul Parker says his old club should appoint former Spurs and Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood until the end of the season to “to soft soap the players and give them a bit of a cuddle”. (Eurosport)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…???Former Man City, Man United and West Ham striker Carlos Tevez snubs mega-money move to ChinaEden Hazard does not know how to cope with Chelsea pressure mentally, talkSPORT told Expert view on the ‘Belgian Jamie Vardy’ who is interesting as many as 13 Premier League clubsChelsea and Manchester United can forget about luring Mauricio Pochettino away this summer, says Tottenham legendAC Milan receive stunning £47m bid for Chelsea-linked striker Carlos BaccaJuventus send scouts to watch Arsenal and Manchester United target Edinson Cavanilast_img read more

11 of the best current players to NEVER win the Champions League

first_img 11 11 8. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) – Timing is an art the Polish striker has perfected over his career but unfortunately it was all out when he swapped Borussia Dortmund for Bavaria. He was a runner-up in the competition back in 2013 when Bayern lifted the trophy under Jupp Heynckes. 11 10. David Silva (Manchester City) – Consistently one of the finest midfielders in the Premier League, the Spaniard glides around English pitches feeding team-mate Sergio Aguero with ammunition for goals. He’s a two-time European champion with his national team and a World champion too. He’s missed out on Ol’ Big Ears though. 5. Daniele De Rossi (Roma) – It might be hard to believe but not only has the warrior-like midfielder not won the Champions League with his club, he’s not even won Serie A! If he feels bad about things he can always get his World Cup winners medal out, mind you… 11 11 Zlatan Ibrahimovic has had a glittering career in European football but there is something that continues to elude him: Champions League glory.The striker has won 12 league titles during his career (or 10 if you don’t count Juventus’ ‘revoked’ wins), but has yet to lift the famous European Cup, so far.He is running out of time at the age of 34, but PSG have a great chance this year and are favourites to reach the quarter-finals after a 2-1 first leg victory over Chelsea.Ibrahimovic is in good company though with several top stars still yet to lift Ol’ Big Ears, despite brushes with glory across the years.Click the right arrow above to see which top stars are yet to have won the Champions League… 4. Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) – At the heart of the Juventus defence for a decade, the bruising Italian defender missed last year’s final due to injury and subsequently only earned a runner-up medal. He’s got another crack at the whip this year but Juve must defeat Bayern Munich just to reach the quarter-finals. 11 11. Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund) – The German centre back is a World Cup winner but has yet to lift the Champions League trophy as Dortmund lost out to Bayern Munich at Wembley back in 2013. After a dismal season last year he’s not got the chance to win it this year but should be back, one way or another, next time. 11 7. Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain) – The Brazil centre back is an excellent leader and a fine defender. Strikers may not escape his grasp but Champions League glory has dodged him so far during his career. 11 9. Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) – The German assist king left Real Madrid the summer before their famous ‘Decima’ win back in 2014 and now sees his Arsenal side facing Barcelona in the last-16 this time out. It’s unlikely they will be progressing this time but stranger things have happened. 3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris Saint-Germain) – The Swedish superstar has won 12 league titles in four different countries across Europe but the one prize that still eludes him is a Champions League winners medal. Is this the year? 11 2. Francesco Totti (Roma) – One of the greatest Italians of all-time, Totti is a World Cup winner and a European Championship winner. He’s also got a Serie A title under his belt, although just the one, and plenty of individual medals too. Unfortunately he’s never even made it to a Champions League final. 6. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City) – One of the finest finishers in world football, the Argentine hasn’t even come close to winning the Champions League. They’re still in this year’s competition though and face Dynamo Kiev in the last-16. Could they win it before Pep Guardiola arrives next year? 11 11 1. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) – Legendary Italy goalkeeper Buffon has plenty of other winners medals in his cabinet including the World Cup, but the one piece of silverware he has not won is ‘Ol’ Big Ears’. Is there still time for the 38-year-old?last_img read more

Powerful quake hits Caribbean

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck at 2 p.m. EST and was centered 26 miles southeast of Roseau, capital of Dominica, where the shaking lasted for about 20 seconds. The temblor was felt hundreds of miles away in Puerto Rico to the west, and Venezuela and Suriname to the south. In the neighboring island of Martinique, a government official said police and firefighters were responding to hundreds of calls for help. He said some people sustained minor injuries, but no major casualties have been reported. The official declined to give his name in accordance with government policy. The earthquake collapsed the roofs of a bank and a store in the capital of Martinique, Fort-de-France. Ambulances were called in. “My house shook so hard, I thought it was going to fall,” said a caller to Radio Martinique who identified herself only as Fannie. “The door, the windows, everything shook.” The quake struck at a depth of 90 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site. “I wouldn’t expect major damage because the quake has some depth,” said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said the quake was too deep to generate a destructive tsunami. In Trinidad, the shaking sent workers streaming out of office towers into the streets of the capital, Port-of-Spain. Thousands more ran outside in St. Maarten. Flights at Princess Juliana International Airport were briefly suspended. In Guyana, lawmakers evacuated the South American country’s parliament building. The earthquake did not disrupt production at Trinidad’s state-owned oil refinery, Petrotrin, which produces 160,000 barrels of refined gasoline, diesel and oil daily for domestic use and export to countries, including the United States. “We have not had any reports about breakdowns from our exploration and production fields,” spokesman Arnold Corneal said. “We are still doing checks.” In St. Lucia, Julian Dubois, deputy director of the national emergency management organization, said the quake caused some panic and broke water lines but did not appear to cause severe damage. In the capital, Castries, people spoke of buildings swaying but not toppling. A glass door of one company was shattered. St. Lucia resident Annie Ellis said the quake was the strongest she has experienced. “In all my years, I have never felt any earthquake so powerful,” said the 100-year-old Ellis. “And it lasted such a long time.” In Antigua, islanders said the shaking lasted about 30 seconds. “I haven’t felt one like that in a while,” said Jessie Kentish, a resident of the capital, St. John’s. “It was a long time.” The temblor triggered a series of false quake alarms in California.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CASUALTIES: Minor injuries, no tsunami, caused by 7.4 temblor. By Ellsworth Carter The Associated Press ROSEAU, Dominica – A powerful earthquake rocked the eastern Caribbean on Thursday, sending office workers and shoppers on several islands fleeing into the streets. Minor injuries were reported on the island of Martinique. last_img read more

LISTEN: Allardyce says Arsenal were fortunate to claim point against Sunderland

first_imgSunderland boss Sam Allardyce believes his side deserved better than a point against Arsenal on Sunday.The Black Cats created a host of chances against their Champions League-chasing opponents but were unable to find a way past Petr Cech as the match ended goalless.That was enough to move Sunderland out of the bottom three on goal difference, but Allardyce feels his side missed a glorious opportunity to edge even further away from relegation danger.He said: “All in all I am just a tinge disappointed we haven’t converted that performance into three very, very precious points.“It would have been our biggest victory of the season and in all honesty after the second half performance I think we did enough to just win it by that odd goal. We didn’t but we played extremely well against a top side.“Defensively we were extremely solid and when they broke the defence our goalkeeper was very good again when we needed him.“When we got in amongst them in the second half and stopped them playing and controlled the tempo of the game we started to get a little bit of panic in the Arsenal defence and with some of the chances we created we are perhaps a little disappointed we haven’t converted one of those today.”last_img read more