Rolling Stone Rolls Dice on Restaurant Business

first_imgMove over Hard Rock Café. Watch out Planet Hollywood. A music magazine is leaping off the printed page into the frying pan.Rolling Stone founder/editor/publisher Jann S. Wenner announced late last week a partnership with the principals of real estate developer the Lucky Rug Group to launch a 10,000 square-foot restaurant/bar/lounge/private event space next summer at Los Angeles’ Hollywood and Highland Center—situated along the Hollywood Walk of Fame and home to Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and the Kodak Theatre. Details were sparse concerning the forthcoming mega venue’s food menu and drink list but Wenner, et al., said it would feature “exposed black brick, tufted leather and vaulted ceilings throughout the location, as well as a stunning antique iron staircase.” There won’t be any music industry memorabilia (read:  bric-a-brac) like you see plastered all over the walls at a Hard Rock, though. “We are both excited and determined to bring the spirit of the magazine to life—the edginess, the coolness, the classiness and the timelessness—in making this venue a place to see and be seen,” Lucky Rug Group co-owner and Rolling Stone stakeholder Niall Donnelly said in the announcement.Cool? Edgy? Sure, it’s had its moments, but those aren’t words I’d necessarily associate with the granddaddy of music magazines, at least not for the last several years.At any rate, getting into the restaurant businesses for anyone is, well, risky businesses. Planet Hollywood, for instance, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection a number of times.  The Rolling Stone brand, though, seems like a strong enough platform from which to launch a restaurant/bar project. It’s recognized across ages, gender and music preference. And, besides, Rolling Stone isn’t the only print magazine business that’s rolling the dice on branded venues.  Maybe I’ll check out the new restaurant some night, but only if Wenner’s working the bar.last_img read more

AliveCors FDAcleared 6lead ECG aims to detect more than the Apple Watch

first_img Withings adds ECG to its newest watches and blood pressure… Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Apple Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors $349 Apple 21 Photos $413 1:10 See it Now playing: Watch this: News • Apple Watch Series 4 vs. Galaxy Watch Active: What’s the best smartwatch? $399 AliveCor CEO Ira Bahr said in a statement in AliveCor’s press release, “KardiaMobile 6L is the most clinically valuable personal ECG ever created, and another significant step in AliveCor’s march to making heart care more convenient, more accessible, and less expensive than ever before.”kardiamobile-6l-phone-green-bkgThe chart of how the six leads record heart activity. AliveCor The little device has three electrodes, and requires thumbs from each hand to make contact, as well as an ankle or knee on the bottom. The completion of all of those contact points allows a 30-second timed reading that can be shared with a doctor afterward.AliveCor also made the first Apple Watch ECG watch strap, a year before Apple included ECG on the watch itself.A six-lead ECG should offer a considerable step up in awareness of potential cardiovascular conditions, although it’s still not the same as a 12-lead ECG like you’d get from a cardiologist. It’ll be available in June, with preorders available now in the US. How To • How to use the Apple Watch ECG app Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Tags See It $349 0 Share your voice Review • Apple Watch Series 4 review: ECG, and a lot of refinements The KardiaMobile 6L requires contacts on both fingers, plus a knee or ankle. AliveCor Consumer ECG (electrocardiogram) devices, like the Apple Watch Series 4, are one-lead, and can only test for a particular range of heart arrhythmias. But AliveCor’s newest mobile ECG device that just gained FDA clearance could potentially do a lot more.The $150 iOS and Android-compatible KardiaMobile 6L is the only consumer-sold six-lead ECG (other portable devices, like AliveCor’s nearly identical-looking but cheaper KardiaMobile, can only record one lead). It can record heart activity on six different leads at once (I, II, II, aVL, aVR and aVF). It can detect atrial fibrillation (AFib), bradycardia (abnormally low heart rate) and tachycardia (abnormally high heart rate), but promises to also detect other arrhythmias that could indicate heart disease.Read more: The best health devices to use with your iPhone and Apple Watch Post a comment reading • AliveCor’s FDA-cleared 6-lead ECG aims to detect more than the Apple Watch Mentioned Above Apple Watch Series 4 GPS (40mm silver aluminum case, white sport band) Walmart Mobile Mobile Accessories Caregiving Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Preview • Apple Watch Series 4 review in progress (updated) Apple Watch Series 4 • See It All the gadgets for getting healthy at CES 2019 See All Best Buy See It CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Applelast_img read more

Shahid Kapoor on unfair criticism of Kabir Singh First time in movies

first_imgShahid Kapoor in Kabir SinghTwitterDirector Sandeep Reddy Vanga’s Kabir Singh had been at the receiving end of harsh criticism from film reviewers ever since the movie was released in theatres. Film reviewers blasted out at Kabir Singh calling it misogynist and a full show of acts of toxic masculinity. There were hardly any reviews of Kabir Singh which talked about its brilliant onscreen performances – lead and supporting cast, screenplay, dialogues, comic timing and music. But Kabir Singh braved the critics’ storm and went on to become one of the highest grossing movies in Bollywood.Kabir Singh has collected over Rs 275 crore at the Indian box office till date and is still running in theatres successfully. And now that the storm upon Kabir Singh has passed, Shahid Kapoor, who played the titular role in the film, has spoken about the unfair criticism of his film.”Reviewers didn’t talk about the music of the film, the performances, screenplay, dialogues, NOTHING. My point is ‘Do your job!’ That’s what you are supposed to do. Of course, you have 10 min window to express your views, spend 5 mins ranting and saying ‘this is a rubbish film’. No problem. But spend 5 mins giving dignity to one year of work that people have done. You have spent 10 mins on the film, that’s your job. Somebody has spent an year. Can you not acknowledge it? Can you not address it?” Shahid Kapoor told Bollywood Hungama in an interview.And made a statement by adding, “That’s why people have gotten angry with them and that is why for the first time in movies that I remember, the reviewers have been reviewed by the audience.”Addressing the grinding criticism on Kabir Singh, Shahid said that, Kabir, cannot be called anti-woman just because he slapped Preeti (Kabir’s ladylove played by Kiara Advani). He said that Kabir had problem with everyone – his father, his brother, his grandmother, his friends, his colleagues including himself.”If Kabir hadn’t slapped Preeti (Kiara’s character), would everything else that he did be okay? Because he slapped the girl, you feel that is unacceptable and that Kabir Singh is an unacceptable character. We want you to feel this is unacceptable, his behaviour has gone beyond control,” Shahid said.last_img read more

Daily Shokaler Khobor shut down temporarily

first_imgShokaler KhoborThe print edition of daily Shokaler Khobor was shut down ‘temporarily’ on Thursday.Mehnaj Kabir, chief marketing and communication officer of Rangkan Holdings Limited which owns the daily, said, “We had decided to publish the newspaper in 2009. But, the media house has failed to make profit. Thus, we have decided to shut down the print edition of the newspaper.”“Despite the loss, we continued running the project with subsidy. We even tried to sell the ownership, but to no avail.”He also said a committee, formed in this regard, has started working to look into what can be done with the newspaper.The daily’s journalists and other employees will be given their dues as per 8th Wage Board within 25 September, he added.A journalist, on condition of anonymity, said there were more than 300 journalists and employees in the media house.The authorities said their jobs will remain effective till 30 September.last_img read more