Championship wrap: Hibs maintain perfect start, Raith frustrate United

first_imgDebut goals from Andrew Shinnie and Grant Holt helped Hibernian continue their 100 per cent start to the SPFL Championship season as they thrashed Morton 4-0 at Easter Road. Midfielder Shinnie, on a season-long loan from Birmingham, nodded in a David Gray cross at the back post to the open the scoring in the 29th minute before former Rochdale striker Holt produced a bullet header from John McGinn’s ball to double the lead four minutes before half-time. Striker Jason Cummings put the result beyond doubt nine minutes into the second period, heading in Shinnie’s cross from close range to claim his sixth goal in four league games. Morton offered little attacking threat and their afternoon was made worse when Brian Graham headed home Cummings’ ball to make it four with 16 minutes remaining. Raith came from two goals down to earn a 2-2 draw with Dundee United at Tannadice – but it did end their 100 per cent start to the Scottish Championship season. Having conceded just once in their opening three games, the Rovers defence was breached twice in the opening 23 minutes. Willo Flood lashed a fine volley into the bottom corner in the 17th minute before they doubled their advantage from the penalty spot six minutes later. Flood was brought down by Declan McManus and Cammy Smith made no mistake from 12 yards for his fifth goal of the season. Raith reduced the deficit in the 38th minute when Jordan Thompson thumped a volley into the top corner. Kevin McHattie then drew Raith level 18 minutes from time with a cracking 25-yard effort.Derek Lyle scored the only goal as Queen of the South maintained their unbeaten start to the Scottish Championship season by beating Dunfermline at East End Park. Queens had a huge let-off in the 12th minute when Lyle’s free-kick hit both posts before David Hutton cleared. Stephen Dobbie squandered a decent opening for the visitors before they did take the lead on the stroke of half-time. Jamie Hamill’s free-kick found Andy Dowie at the far post and his header across goal was converted by Lyle for his third goal in as many games. Dunfermline were reduced to 10 men in the 62nd minute when Jason Talbot saw red for violent conduct following a two-footed tackle on Kyle Jacobs. The home side came close to a leveller when Andy Geggan’s shot from range was spilled by Lee Robinson but Ryan Williamson was unable to convert the rebound.Lee Miller’s late strike earned Falkirk their first league win – 1-0 at home to Dumbarton. Luca Gasparotto saved the home side from an early setback when he reacted quickly to clear David Smith’s prod at goal. Falkirk settled and forced Alan Martin into action. The goalkeeper moved smartly to repel John Baird’s effort and then cut off a diving header from Myles Hippolyte. When Luke Leahy headed against the crossbar in the second half for Peter Houston’s men, it looked as if the breakthrough would never come. But, in the 86th minute, Leahy crossed for Miller to slam in at the back post and snatch his side victory.Tom Walsh struck a late equaliser to earn St Mirren a 1-1 draw at Ayr which leaves both sides still searching for their first win in the Scottish Championship this season. Jamie Adams’ 14th-minute header, from Brian Gilmour’s cross, had looked like ensuring Ayr halted their three-match losing streak. St Mirren came close to equalising in the 66th minute but David Clarkson’s header from Walsh’s delivery fell narrowly wide. However, Walsh was to earn the visitors a point when he nodded in Lawrence Shankland’s long throw at the back post. There was still time for John Sutton to come close to a late winner for the Saints but his shot was blocked as the spoils were shared.last_img read more