Condoleezza Rice to speak at Norwich University in June

first_imgNorwich University,Related Company: Norwich UniversityNorwich University’s College of Graduate and Continuing Studies (CGCS), based in Northfield, Vermont, will present former United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as a keynote speaker during its 2014 residency conference on Thursday, June 19, at 10 am in Shapiro Field House. Rice will share remarks as part of the Todd Lecture Series, and the event is free and open to the public.  CGCS will host its annual residency conferences during the week of June 16, when more than 600 students from all over the world in nine graduate programs and two bachelor’s degree-completion programs will participate in academic activities, conference sessions and commencement exercises. “At Norwich University’s annual Residency Conference, our online students from around the globe engage in interdisciplinary discourse that further shapes their development as ethical and efficacious leaders,” said Bill Clements, dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies. “We are honored to welcome Dr. Rice to be a part of this culminating educational journey, to help share her passion for public service and commitment to positive change as the nation’s diplomat and former Secretary of State.” Tickets to attend Dr Rice’s keynote will be available on a first come, first serve basis, and pre-registration for this event is required. Please go here to register.The Todd Lecture Series is named in honor of Army Major General Russell Todd (USA Ret) and his wife, Carol, in gratitude for their dedicated service to the university. Todd, ’50, serves as Norwich President Emeritus. With this series, Norwich brings significant lecturers to campus. All events are free and open to the public.Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates traditional-age students and adults in a Corps of Cadets and as civilians. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in Baccalaureate and Graduate Degrees. Norwich University was founded in 1819 by Captain Alden Partridge of the U.S. Army and is the oldest private military college in the United States of America. Norwich is one of our nation’s six senior military colleges and the birthplace of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC). www.norwich.edu(link is external) Norwich University’s College of Graduate and Continuing Studies (CGCS) builds upon the institution’s 195 year academic heritage with innovative online programs. CGCS offers master’s degrees in a variety of areas; bachelor’s degree completion programs; a certificate in teaching and learning and continuing education opportunities. The programs are recognized throughout the industry for their rigor, small class size, high student satisfaction and retention. online.norwich.edulast_img read more

Saudi Arabia reports 2 more MERS cases

first_imgSaudi Arabia reported two new MERS-CoV cases today, marking the first time the government has cited more than one case since Jun 9.Also today, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed and supplied some new details on two MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) cases that were reported by the Saudi Ministry of Health (MOH) last week.Cases in Riyadh, JeddahThe two new cases involve a 46-year-old male expatriate who is hospitalized in Riyadh and a 57-year-old Saudi man hospitalized in Jeddah, the MOH said in today’s update. Neither man is a healthcare worker, and only the younger one has a preexisting condition. As usual, the statement gave no information on how the patients were exposed to the virus.The infections raised Saudi Arabia’s MERS count to 710 cases with 292 deaths, the MOH said. Forty patients are still receiving treatment.The two new cases bring the number reported by Saudi Arabia in the past week to six (although the link for a case reported Jun 20 has disappeared from the MOH coronavirus Web site).The last time the MOH reported two new cases was Jun 9, and the last report of more than two was on Jun 6, when there were four. The current slow pace contrasts sharply with the pattern in April and early May, when hospital-based outbreaks sparked hundreds of cases in a few weeks.The MOH reported no new cases yesterday but noted a death in a previously announced case, that of a 36-year-old male expatriate in Al Baha.WHO updateThe two cases confirmed by the WHO today involve a 42-year-old man who died on Jun 18 and a 58-year-old who is in stable condition. The agency said it was informed of the cases on Jun 17.The younger man was a Jeddah resident who was hospitalized in the city for “a medical condition” from May 26 to Jun 4, the WHO said. On Jun 13 he experienced respiratory symptoms, was found to have pneumonia, and was readmitted to the hospital. MERS-CoV was confirmed on Jun 16, 2 days before the man died.How the patient was exposed to the virus is unclear, the WHO said. Preliminary investigation showed that there were no MERS patients in the hospital ward where the man was initially treated, and he had no reported exposure to other MERS patients or to animals and no recent travel history.The WHO description matched up with a case announced by the MOH on Jun 17, except that the MOH said the man was from Mecca.The 58-year-old, a Riyadh resident, got sick on Jun 4, was hospitalized on Jun 12, and tested positive for MERS-CoV on the 15th, according to the WHO. He had traveled to Mecca to perform Umrah on May 31 and from there to Egypt on Jun 3, returning to Riyadh on the 9th.The patient is reported to have had no contact with other MERS patients or animals, the agency said. The WHO description matches a case reported by the MOH on Jun 15.See also: Jun 25 Saudi MOH statementJun 25 WHO statementJun 24 Saudi MOH statementlast_img read more

Chinese club deny discussing Costa deal

first_imgChinese club Tianjin Quanjian have again denied holding talks with Diego Costa over a move for the Chelsea striker.Costa, who has two years remaining on his contract at Stamford Bridge, has been linked with a big-money transfer to China.AdChoices广告Earlier this month, Tianjin issued a statement denying that they were in discussions to sign the 28-year-old.And they have done so again, insisting that no talks have taken place.A statement on their website said: “During the past six months the club has not communicated with Diego Costa or his agent regarding his transfer to Tianjin Quanjian.”Costa has been tipped to move to Tianjin for as much as £76m amid continued speculation over his future.But the club’s statement added: “We have no intention of becoming involved in any unhealthy competition and, consequently, paying a premium price.” See also:Conte warns of ‘real danger’ against ArsenalChelsea confirm Cuadrado’s Juventus moveConte wants ‘dream’ send-off for Terry  Ads by Revcontent Trending Articles British Banks Won’t Tell You About This System x Banks Can’t Stop You Doing This and They Hate It – Don’t Miss out x Easy Way to Generate Extra Income x Last Nights Episode Left Viewers Speechless! x Chilling Photos Taken Moments Before It All Goes Wrong x This 70s Star Was Every Guy’s Dream Girl. Try Not to Gasp when You See Her Now! x Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Transfer gossip: Mail say Villa could target Fosu-Mensah as well as Sawyers

first_imgTimothy Fosu-Mensah could join Aston Villa, the Daily Mail say.The defender is currently on loan from Manchester United at Fulham, who are reportedly looking to terminate the season-long deal in order to free up more space in the squad.AdChoices广告And the Mail say he could be targeted by Villa along with Brentford midfielder Romaine Sawyers.Villa’s former Bees boss Dean Smith is keen to sign Sawyers, who also played under him at Walsall.The Mail believe a £4m deal for Sawyers to move to Villa Park will be delayed until the summer.Related West London Sport story: Villa expected to make offer for Sawyers (27 December)Kessie linked with Chelsea againEmbed from Getty Images Chelsea are yet again being linked with midfielder Franck Kessie.The Ivory Coast international has been linked with the Blues during successive transfer windows, before and since a two-year loan move to AC Milan from Atalanta in 2017.Reports in Italy suggest his time at Milan could end this month and that he is keen to move to England.And The Sun claim there is interest from Chelsea, who currently have a wealth of midfield options, as well as Tottenham.Sevilla want Morata – SunSevilla want to sign Alvaro Morata, The Sun reports.The Sun say Morata would prefer to rejoin Real Madrid if he leaves Chelsea, who will reportedly only consider letting him go if they find a replacement.Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri is said to be keen to bring in Gonzalo Higuain, who played under him at Napoli and is currently on loan at AC Milan from Juventus.However, Goal.com say Chelsea will not be pursuing a deal for the Argentine striker because of the complexities of negotiating with two clubs.Blues tipped to target Wilson and defender Chelsea remain keen on Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson and want to sign a defender, the Daily Mirror reports.The newspaper say Gary Cahill is likely to leave for Fulham, Watford or West Ham and that a replacement for the centre-back will be sought.The Blues have shown an interest in England international Wilson and are being tipped to move for him now the transfer window is open – and in light of comments by Sarri.Head coach Sarri gave a strong indication after Wednesday’s goalless draw against Southampton that he wants Chelsea to sign a striker.Related West London Sport stories:Fulham want to sign CahillSarri hints he wants strikerZola appears to confirm Wilson interest The stories in Friday’s newspapers involving the area’s clubs…Embed from Getty Images Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

F1 will revive plans for an inverted grid

first_imgphoto: FIA / F1The development of the Italian Grand Prix is ​​indicative of the fact that the inverted starting grid can contribute to interesting races, according to the manager of sports issues in Formula 1 Ross Brown. The idea was discussed before the start of the 2020 season, but Mercedes blocked it and it did not materialize. Two cars to secure and stop Monza’s race shook the order in the column and led to a shocking victory for Pierre Gasley (Alpha Tauri).“Monza was a candidate for the inverted starting grid when we considered the form earlier. Unfortunately, we were not able to do it, but the concept is still something we want to work on with the FIA ​​in the coming months and discuss with the teams for next year. ”“We believe that Monza’s race demonstrates the excitement that a shuffled column can bring. Next year the cars will be the same as the current ones and our fans can enjoy dramas similar to the one in Italy “, explained Brown in the analysis after the eighth round of the world championship.“Of course, teams will adjust their cars differently if there is a sprint race with an inverted grille,” said Brown.“Now the adjustments of the Mercedes are such that they achieve the fastest lap. Then control the race from the front of the column. If they knew that their pilots would have to overtake, they would change this approach. We will continue to explore new formats to improve the show, but we will always keep the DNA of Formula 1. ”In the discussion before the start of the season, the boss of Mercedes Toto Wolf said that the inverted starting grid takes away the achievements of the best on the track. According to him, this is how the team with the fastest car is punished. He also pointed out that in a survey among fans, only 15% expressed interest in the idea.Under the current rules, such a change in the regulation requires the unanimous consent of the teams. This will change with the entry into force of the new Concord Treaty.Drama from start to finish 🍿The airwaves were 🔥 at Monza#ItalianGP 🇮🇹 # F1– Formula 1 (@ F1) September 7, 2020If you find a spelling mistake, please let us know by highlighting the text and clicking Ctrl+Enterlast_img read more

DONEGAL GROUP TO BRING COST OF CHILDCARE TO THE CORRIDORS OF POWER

first_imgA research report commissioned by Donegal County Childcare will be the key focus of two important debates in the Dáil in the coming weeks.Avril McMonagleIt follows the innovative research work into childcare supports for working families and the implications for employment.The research entitled ‘Supporting Working Families – Releasing a brake on economic growth’ was carried out by Indecon International Economic Consultants for Donegal County Childcare and was launched by Minister Frances Fitzgerald in Dublin in December. Avril McMonagle, County Childcare Manager, who initiated the research project early in 2013, has been invited to provide a presentation on the findings of the report to the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Health and Children on Thursday 20th February.Minister Fitzgerald has already expressed her intention to be present for the presentation.Ms. McMonagle said she is delighted the report has generated a huge amount of interest from various Government Departments.“We already know that the findings and recommendations will be used to inform a review of childcare funding schemes during 2014. We are grateful to Sinn Fein Spokesperson for Children Caoimhghíin ó Caoláin and local TD Pádraig Mac Lochlainn for nominating us to present to the Joint Committee’. The Donegal Report will also provide the background information for the first Private Members Business debate in the term of the current Government specifically on childcare this week.This is being brought forward by Robert Troy, TD Fianna Fail Spokesperson for Children and local TD Charlie McConalogue.In order to address this issue, the Fianna Fáíl led debate will provide a platform for a range of childcare related issues including increased investment and will call for the implementation of many of the proposals put forward in the Indecon Report regarding the cost of childcare.The cost of childcare as a barrier to employment is an issue that has been debated for years without any tangible solutions being brought forward.The report shows that thousands of working parents, particularly mothers, face a stark choice of quitting work because of the high cost of childcare, or continuing their careers while losing money. The report puts forward key policy initiatives which could be undertaken to reduce barriers to employment which would have positive benefits for working parents in Donegal who are earning just above the threshold for family income supports.Avril said the DCCC is particularly delighted that a Donegal based organisation has been successful in taking this crucial national issue to central government.“For this reason we knew for the onset that not only did our report need to be evidence based and solutions focussed – most importantly it needed to be properly costed to ensure that it would be taken seriously. We are delighted that we have succeeded in doing this and that our report is now central to all future policy discussions in this area’.DONEGAL GROUP TO BRING COST OF CHILDCARE TO THE CORRIDORS OF POWER was last modified: February 9th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Avril McMonagledailDonegal Childcare Committeelast_img read more