Complaint against Harris withdrawn; won’t play LSU game

first_imgGAINESVILLE – The sexual assault claim against Florida quarterback Treon Harris has been withdrawn by the UF student who originated the allegations.“The young lady who claimed that Treon Harris sexually battered her has withdrawn her complaint. I am pleased for Treon Harris and his family,” said Gainesville attorney Huntley Johnson, who represented Harris. “I will not speculate on what the University of Florida is going to do.”But Florida coach Will Muschamp announced Harris will not play in Saturday’s game against LSU.“We have been notified that the University and legal process is complete,” Muschamp said in a statement. “Treon has been reinstated to the team, but he will not play Saturday. This has been a learning experience for everyone involved. Treon has been honest with me throughout the process and is looking forward to rejoining his teammates.”Huntley released a graphic statement on Thursday defending Harris and claiming, among other things, that the woman had sex with another man before him that night. A female UF student claimed she had been been a victim of sexual assault by Harris after the team returned late Saturday from a 10-9 win against Tennessee in which he had led the Gators to their only scoring drives in the comeback win.The Miami recruit missed the entire week of game preparation during the legal process.He posted on Instagram: “I wanna thank everybody who supported me through this whole situation with the prayers and the love.”Muschamp postponed his regularly-scheduled press conference Monday. Harris a freshman from Booker T Washington High School, led his high school team to the Class 4A state titles in 2012 and 2013.While it had been speculated Harris could start on Saturday against LSU, Jeff Driskel has already been announced to start after the suspension.Will Grier and Skyler Mornhinweg will be his backups.last_img read more

Terry plays in Chelsea Under-23 game

first_imgSee also:Conte eyes ‘massive game’ against SpursMiddlesbrough v Chelsea player ratingsZouma training with Chelsea’s first-team squadChelsea unsure when Terry will be fit Ads by Revcontent Trending Articles British Banks Won’t Tell You About This System x This Video Will Soon Be Banned. Watch Before It’s Deleted. x Easy Way to Generate Extra Income x Last Nights Episode Left Viewers Speechless! x Remember Her? Take a Deep Breath Before You See What She Looks Like Now x Mom Has No Idea Why Vacation Photo Went Viral, then She Looks in the Background x Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook John Terry, Cesc Fabregas, Michy Batshuayi – who scored twice – and Kurt Zouma featured for Chelsea’s development side against Southampton on Monday afternoon.A late goal by Marco van Ginkel gave the hosts a 3-2 win at the Blues’ Cobham training ground, where Zouma continued his comeback from a long-term knee injury.AdChoices广告It was Zouma’s fourth appearance for Chelsea’s second string following the 22-year-old defender’s recent return to action. Clubs are able to field three over-age outfield players in Under-23 matches, enabling the Blues to give Terry, Fabregas and Van Ginkel run-outs, while Batshuayi was eligible to play as he was 22 at the start of the season.Fabregas, who has recovered from a minor injury, Batshuayi and club captain Terry have not been first-team regulars this season, so the match was a chance for them to maintain their fitness.Southampton led twice, with goals from Batshuayi hauling Chelsea level before Van Ginkel, who has been working his way back to fitness after a knee problem, won it with a brilliant late strike.Teenage striker Dominic Solanke also played, and hit the bar, while Zouma had an effort cleared off the line in an action-packed game. Click here for the latest Chelsea transfer gossip last_img read more

City in Peru left devastated by quake

first_imgPresident Alan Garcia acknowledged that aid had been slow to arrive so far, but predicted that “a situation approaching normality” would be restored within 10 days. But that could seem like an eternity for those here without food and shelter. “Nobody is going to die of hunger or thirst,” Garcia said. “I understand your desperation, your anxiety, and some are taking advantage of the circumstances to take the property of others, take things from stores, thinking they’re not going to receive help.” But Carlos Bruce, an opposition lawmaker, said, “In this first emergency of Garcia’s government, they started with what they should have done last by sending ministers and the president himself to the emergency zone. The first thing they should have done is send aid.” The U.S. State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, announced in Washington that the Disaster Assistance Office and the Red Cross would provide $100,000 for food, water, medicine and blankets and that the Defense Department would provide an additional $50,000. The aid will focus primarily on Ica and Chincha, areas also hard hit by the quake. While the earthquake, which registered a magnitude of 8.0, shook several cities, including Lima, the capital, no place was hit harder than this city of adobe homes in southern Peru. Rescue teams who arrived here were shocked to find block after block of modest houses reduced to piles of dirt and rubble. On Friday, hospitals were overwhelmed and people were still digging out of the rubble, and the toll seemed certain to rise. Residents wandered the dirt streets in a daze, looking for missing relatives. Others went to the public health clinic to peek under the black plastic tarps covering corpses. “We are in the desert here,” said Marta Rebatta Huaman, as she stood above a plot in the cemetery Friday while waiting to bury her 16-year-old daughter. Huaman said her daughter had died while attending Mass in San Clemento de Pisco Church, which crumbled above some 200 parishioners Wednesday night. “I feel today as if my life is ending,” the mother, a 43-year-old hairdresser, said. The priest celebrating the Mass, the Rev. Jose Torres, was found alive in the rubble Friday morning, emergency aid officials reported. Torres was trapped under the adobe roof and managed to remain relatively unhurt while a cave of rubble fell around him. As many as 50 people died when the church collapsed. Of the 600 prisoners who fled the Tambo de Mora prison in Chincha after the quake, 75 were reported back in custody. Many had turned themselves in. Peru is subject to quakes generated by tectonic plates located off the Pacific Coast. An earthquake in the central highlands in 1970 killed more than 70,000 people. “Thank you, God Almighty, that these terrible earthquakes did not cause death tolls like in years past,” said Garcia, who is both admired and derided for his theatrical oratory. The disarray in Pisco’s streets seemed at odds with the pride evoked by the city’s name, which it shares with that of the white grape brandy produced in the area. But after the earthquake, with aftershocks still shaking the survivors here, Pisco will acquire wider significance in Peru. “We had 120 bodies prepared for collection just this morning,” said Lauro Guzman, 25, a police officer standing watch at the makeshift morgue. “We’ll have more tomorrow.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PISCO, Peru – No site in this ruined city rivals in misery the cemetery, where hundreds of people milled around freshly dug graves Friday. Each coffin bore the scribbled name of its occupant, and gravestones wedged into the dirt were marked with chalk. Two days after a powerful earthquake killed at least 510 people and injured 1,500, clouds of dust rose around frenzied gravediggers making way for more bodies. Military transport planes bringing aid roared overhead. In a quarter of the cemetery set aside for the youngest victims of the earthquake, a tearful family gathered at a new grave marked “Ricardo G. Torres Farfan, 2 anos.” Near the entrance to Pisco, mobs of residents looted cars and trucks bringing food and medical supplies to the city, breaking windshields with rocks, thrusting their arms through open car windows and racing on foot from one promising-looking automobile to another. Outnumbered police squads shot into the air in attempts to disperse the crowd. On the Pan-American Highway from Lima, the earthquake tore large chunks of asphalt from the highway and created zigzagging crevices in many parts of the road. The government came in for early criticism that it was not moving fast enough to aid the victims and restore order. “There is no authority here,” said Roberto Angulo, 38, a construction worker, as he wandered in front of the ruins of one of Pisco’s churches. “It’s like we’re dispensable.” Pledges of international aid have reached $40 million, according to Agustin Haya de la Torre, president of the International Peruvian Cooperation Agency. Haya de la Torre said the total included $5 million in ready cash and humanitarian aid, $5 million pledged by international donors and $30 million offered by the United Nations. last_img read more