NEW Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announced at the end of November that he planned to cut funding for 140 transport projects across California in a bid to reduce the state’s budget deficit. Among the schemes at risk is the $66m second phase of Sacramento Regional Transit District’s South Corridor light rail line.The 10·1 km first phase opened on September 26, extending the network to 43·2 km at a cost of $222m (RG 10.03 p614). The South line uses a Union Pacific right-of-way from Meadowview to a junction with the existing route just east of 16th Street station. Trains continue to St Rose of Lima station on the K Street Mall in the city centre. Serving seven stations, the line is operated exclusively by CAF-built cars, part of a batch of 40 delivered in 2002-03. The second phase would continue the line by approximately 8 km south along the UP alignment from Meadowview Road to Calvine Road and Auberry Drive, adding four more stations. Preliminary engineering is underway and final design and construction are scheduled to begin before the end of 2004. Completion is expected in 2007.Construction is already in progress on a 4·5 km eastern extension along another UP right-of-way from Mather Field/Mills to Sunrise Boulevard, which will add a further three stations. A ground-breaking ceremony was held on September 12 for a further 11·9 km from Sunrise to the neighbouring town of Folsom, with four stations. Due to open in 2005, the $230·5m Folsom project includes additional double-tracking to eliminate bottlenecks on the existing route and a 1·1 km, three-stop spur from the city centre to the Amtrak station, which will serve a massive redevelopment zone in the adjacent yards.CAPTION: City College station on the South line is a major traffic generator, with many students arriving and leaving throughout the day Photos: Julian Wolinsky CAPTION: Workers complete the platform at Zinfandel Drive station, part of the 4·5 km first phase of the LRT extension to Folsom. Trackwork and catenary are nearly complete (left), as is the relocation of a Union Pacific freight line (right) which shares the right-of-way
Chief Justice Roxanne George-Wiltshire GEORGETOWN, Guyana, CMC – Chief Justice Roxanne George-Wiltshire Tuesday said she intends to give a ruling by the end of this month regarding the three matters challenging the validity of last month’s motion of no confidence that led to the downfall of the David Granger coalition government.She told lawyers representing the various parties during the case management hearing they should submit their legal arguments within the specific deadlinesDecision before month-end “A decision will be ready before the end of this month ” she said, noting also that she is unlikely to grant a conservatory order for the President and Cabinet to remain in office due to the time frames.“We are going to push ahead” and decide on those “matters as urgently as possible” because “the nation is awaiting the outcome of these matters,” she added.On December 21st last year, then government backbencher, Charrandass Persaud, voted in support of a motion filed by Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo that gave the main opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) the 33 votes needed to ensure the success of the motion in the 65-member National Assembly.As a result, the PPP is calling for fresh regional and presidential elections by March this year, while the government has gone to court challenging the validity of the vote.On Tuesday, the Chief Justice heard the case management for the cases “Compton Reid vs The Attorney General, Persaud and The Speaker of the National Assembly; Christopher Ram vs The Attorney General and Speaker of the National Assembly and the Attorney General vs The Speaker of the National Assembly and the Opposition Leader.Submissions to be made by Jan 18She has given the lawyers in all three matters to file their pleadings and make their submissions by January 18 while rebuttals have been listed to take place by January 21.Oral arguments have been set for January 24 in all of the matters. However, the attorney representing Ram will make his oral submissions on January 23.Attorney General, Basil William’s was granted permission to make submissions in two of the three cases that Article 70 of the Guyana Constitution provides for the government to run its full five year term in office.During the hearing, a senior official of the coalition A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) government, Joseph Harmon was given the green light to join the Compton Reid matter. He is being represented by Attorney Roysdale Forde.Williams told reporters that although the timelines that have been set out are “tight”, he intends to proceed with his submissions and arguments. He said the government maintains its position that the motion was not passed by a majority in the 65 member Parliament.But attorney Anil Nandlall, who is the lead attorney for Jagdeo, said he is also ready to proceed.He said the government has it wrong and the motion was carried by a majority of 33 votes and will make that point during his oral submissions.
Share UWF Athletics Hall of Fame nominations open for 2014-15 class PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida Athletics Hall of Fame Committee is now accepting nominations for the 2014-15 hall of fame class. Nominations can be made through an online form at www.GoArgos.com, and the deadline for 2014-15 submissions is July 24, 2014.The date for the 2014-15 UWF Athletics Hall of Fame Banquet has not been determined, but the event is expected to be scheduled for the month of January 2015.For information on all UWF athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com.#ARGOS#UWF Athletics Hall of Fame Home Page UWF Athletics Hall of Fame Nomination Form Print Friendly Version Inductees from the 2013-14 hall of fame banquet (Photo by UWF athletic communications)
KAT and Embiid GOING AT IT.Wow. pic.twitter.com/bXjAGiB5ul— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) October 31, 2019Sixers guard Ben Simmons ended up on top of Towns during the fracas and appeared to have him in a chokehold, but the league did not hand Simmons any kind of punishment.Did Ben Simmons really put KAT in a chokehold? pic.twitter.com/kS5JvT63CY— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) October 31, 2019″My teammate and Karl went at it, I tried to grab them and separate them and get Karl to relax a little bit because I know Karl,” Simmons said when asked about being viewed as the aggressor. “People know me, they know I’m not that type of player, so it is what it is. As a team, we have each other’s backs, no matter what, no matter what the situation is. We’re always going to have each other’s backs with whatever happens on the floor.”Even though he took his talents to South Beach, Butler apparently still has Embiid’s back, too. Jimmy Butler saw it coming. He knew he couldn’t avoid the Joel Embiid vs. Karl-Anthony Towns feud.After Embiid and Towns brawled in the third quarter of Wednesday night’s game between the 76ers and Timberwolves, the two All-Star centers took their beef to social media. In his first post on the subject, Embiid tagged Butler on Instagram and said he “missed being part of the 3rd stringers,” a reference to Butler’s infamous practice last year with the Timberwolves. Butler reportedly took a group of third-string players and beat first-stringers like Towns and Andrew Wiggins. The situation in Minnesota became so dysfunctional the Timberwolves eventually traded Butler to the Sixers. MORE: The full social media fight between Embiid and TownsTowns responded to Embiid with strong words of his own and a photo of Embiid crying following the Sixers’ Game 7 loss to the Raptors. Embiid fired back with a harsh comment on Towns’ Instagram. “You’ve been a p— your whole life,” Embiid wrote. “That’s why you were treated like a bitch by you know who. I ain’t gonna put your business out by [sic] I got the facts about you. Don’t get it twisted I OWN YOU.”It doesn’t feel like much of a stretch to assume the “you know who” here is Butler, considering his history with both guys, and the Heat forward’s comments on the Embiid-Towns battle indicate he has clearly taken a side.”It’s just funny because as soon as I saw it, I was like, ‘Here we go,'” Butler said during an interview that aired Thursday on TNT. “My name’s getting thrown into it. Joe is my guy. I knew he would be the one to throw me into it out of all people, though.”Jimmy Butler on being mentioned in Kat-Embiid fight “I like it though, I’m one for do what you gotta do….Joe is my guy I knew he would be the one to throw me into it” pic.twitter.com/5cREBttvO7— gifdsports (@gifdsports) October 31, 2019The NBA suspended Embiid and Towns two games each for the on-court altercation and their “continued escalation following the incident.” Embiid and Towns exchanged shots before benches cleared, and both players were ejected from the game.